Monday, February 21, 2011

Pop culture - it's got a theme of irony

Warning:  Mass amounts of stereotyping are used in the following excerpt.  Views stated here are not necessarily upheld by the writer (i.e. she is a hypocrite by blatantly listening to and enjoying the music of which she picks on).

Have you ever thought about the lyrics in the majority of our popular songs?  On oh so many levels they are hysterically ironic.  Well maybe it’s not actually funny, maybe it’s sad beyond utterance – but to keep my sanity I’ll avoid the latter.  What started my craze (and is therefore my favorite high horse ) on picking up the ironic themes in pop-cultural songs was this thought:  Americans get angered by immigrants who can’t speak their language and yet celebrate singer/songwriters who don’t speak it correctly.  For instance,  “Who dat girl” isn’t even spelled correctly or grammatically understandable.  And what about “Imma Be” – good luck finding “Imma” in your English dictionary!  At least those speaking their own language are probably speaking it correctly.  I find it ironic that people get so irate over others who don’t speak their language, when we love those who speak and spell it like a train wreck!  Maybe it’s just me, but I think that if we sent immigrants to English class they would come out speaking way better than any of us do.
So I got on this craze with that thought, and then picking apart songs became an obsession!   While listening I found out that Lady Gaga wants a disease.  I’m probably taking this way too far, but did she really just ask for an infection?   STD’s and HIV aren’t really looked highly upon.  America spends billions of dollars every year for the prevention of such diseases – maybe they should allot some of that to not encouraging it over the radio?  I also realized that Britney asks if we would hold it against her if she told us she wanted our body now.  Something about that just doesn’t mesh with me.  Why shouldn’t I hold it against you?  I don’t know you Britney, and when I was little, people always told me to stay away from strangers who asked me questions like that.  One last tid-bit and then I’ll force myself to end this comedic irony:  Katy Perry doesn’t need make-up on for her guy to think she’s pretty, but those skin tight jeans are a total must?  HUH?!  Something isn’t measuring up.
So I leave you with that . . . and a good luck pat on the back as you listen to your radio tomorrow!