Thursday, June 16, 2011

This life I lead ...

     I’m convinced that I have the best job on the face of the planet!  Because of it my vehicle is inevitably dirty, I am grungy and late without fail, and energy can run low on frequent occasions … but it’s completely worth it!!  Where I am in my life right now is not a result of anything I’ve ever asked for but I’m infinitely grateful for every bridle I’ve soaped for 85 cents and every day I’ve spent slaving through storms, snow, heat, sickness, and pain.  I think that makes what I do just that much more rewarding … I worked for it, just as everyone else has around me!  We don’t have a ‘job descriptions’ because the list would be immeasurable, which is also why with a whole slew of us we still can’t quite hit the mark.  But trying to and learning to is the most interesting, challenging, and enjoyable thing I have ever experienced!  Learning how to teach children who need extra special help, trying to hit veins under pressure, playing nurse and guidance counselor, asking the vet too many questions, figuring out the best way to keep records, and most of all keeping a steady mind through any and all circumstances is rewarding!
    I’ve never comprehended the term ‘I don’t want to go to work’ because it’s not like that … our work involves a lot of laughter and fun and interaction with incredible people.  It includes keeping up with each other’s relationships and outside lives in order to keep up with the labor needed to be poured into our responsibilities.  People are good at reminding me that this is not something that I can make a life of; that I’ll be burnt out in some number of years; blah blah blah.  To that I say: you might be right.  I’m not going to sit here and be so naïve to think that said possibilities are not a probable reality, but I hope that acknowledging that now may perhaps help me to see the signs and rely on this incredible team of amazingly competent friends as we avoid breakdowns together!
    I acknowledge the fact that I don’t have a normal life, take tonight for instance.  I got home a little later than planned and hopped in the shower, emerging with an entirely different and much more delicious smell!  I curled up in my pj’s and sat down with a way too late dinner to watch a movie with my parents.  Halfway through my brain was so tired and loopy that I ended up on my kitchen floor doubled over in tears from laughter.  It’s in those moments that I realize just how awesome my lifestyle is.  I would so much rather be curled up on the floor with tears in my eyes because I spent too much time exhausting myself than to live a mundane life where that height of emotion would have to be obtained through other means. 
    I am incredibly blessed!  There are days when past circumstances pop into my mind and I cringe at the thought of them, but I’ve grown up and learned a lot since then and I can’t wait to cringe at how little I know now as I learn even more!  This is a crazy life of opportunity and demand and obstacles that can’t be tackled best alone - and I am honored to live it.
~ Love, Rebecca