My mom is sort of famous for her annual Christmas letter, in which she always comes up with some sort of theme and captures our family's year through that lens. Christmas cards tend to do that, serve as a year overview for many families just without the New Year’s resolutions included. I was going to do something along those lines ... but obviously my life theme is procrastination so it didn't exactly get done before the New Year. Oh, and I'm not quite as clever as my mom so I don't have a theme either -- sorry for the let downs. But I thought about it some and realized that my most important moments have taken place on the phone or in a vehicle, so insert some sort of clever something that has to do with that *here*.
It's a little difficult though to think back to January 2011 and sum up everything that happened between then and now, because just about everything is a lot different. If you bugged my phone you'd know why, because in the beginning I was making phone calls to organize a thousand extra-curricular activities only to realize I can't glue everything together. Then one night I got a call that I lost my best friend and only a few nights later I was practically talking about starting my career. After that I was busy communicating to the farm girls on the other end of the line who were going through crazy situations. Once that calmed down I got another call that this time I had literally lost my friend which turned into some interesting experiences in a vehicle going down the road. But backtrack because before that there had been better scenarios of being in vehicles including getting my own truck, road trips to Virginia, North Carolina, and ocean city, and learning a thousand back roads with new friends. Other than that there were many late night talks in the truck and of course the infamous Wawa runs, and times where the only words that needed to be said were "get in the truck" to end an awful fight. Then there was learning how to drive a trailer which led to getting to deliver my horse to a girl's front yard on Christmas morning, which hence leads me to the New Year.
But of course, what was said above isn't what would get written down in any Christmas letter because, well - it just isn't what people think people want to hear. So if your'e interested in the boring formalities here you go: Rebecca completed a winter course in the beginning of the year at Harford Community College and then went on to take classes during the spring and fall semesters as well, although she dropped a few classes because she hates school but has, barely, managed to keep up her grades. When she is not doing schoolwork, which is most of the time, Rebecca enjoys teaching students at Clayton Ridge Horse Farm and riding horses to resell. She also gets up early every morning to feed the horses breakfast at the farm and does stalls, causing her to create a great stench in the house when she comes home which no one appreciates. Rebecca has become quite adept at fixing most things that she breaks with her tools and even mends things that she doesn't break. On Sundays, Rebecca Briggs can be found going to church and enjoys her mid-week community group as well. She has given up on keeping her room neat, doesn't go running ever anymore, and just doesn't care enough to have any cool hobbies. Okay, so that wasn't a true "boring formality" schpeel but I couldn't bring myself to write that many lies.
2011 was certainly an interesting year that obviously no blog can re-live. Friendships were tested through a lot of changes, family dynamics were deviated with me being the only one home now, and hobbies were revamped as job responsibilities grew. Even though it ended with a lot of horrible hubbub and rigmarole I can't say it was a year I didn't love. I'd say a lot of positive things came out of hardships and I personally learned a whole lot more this year than in many previous years combined. I did some things I wouldn't wish on anyone and heard stories that I could definitely live without replaying ... but all in all I came out strong (not that I'm not ecstatic for a new beginning though!!).